[mythtv-users] cheap TV-Card

Maarten mythtv at ultratux.org
Mon Mar 29 20:46:09 EST 2004

On Tuesday 30 March 2004 03:00, Matt R. wrote:
> Maarten wrote:
> >... One of the cards is defective though; it cannot tune to much
> >of the channels although the other card has no problems with these
> > channels.
>
> I just thought I'd mention...  In the case of at least some tuner cards
> (the defunct STB Videorage II for one), the tuner itself can be
> "tuned."  That particular card has holes in the tuner cover which reveal
> the variable resistors contained therein.  For other makes and models,
> there may be similar resistors hidden behind the cover (you may have to
> pry it off... carefully).  It might be worth a peek.  Some of the more
> expensive tuner cards may have self-tuning capabilites.  Some of the
> cheaper ones may have NON-adjustable resistors responsible for the
> tuning (in which case, your best bet is to "go through [its] pockets and
> look for loose change").  In any case, good luck with whatever you do.

I do think it is a bad card.  I tried running the Xawtv 'scantv -a' tool but
it really only finds like 10 or 15 of the total 40 channels and they are
ridden with interference too.  The whole process was really aggravating,
luckily I eventually managed to get the second card working, thereby pointing
to a serious flaw in the first card.
My cards are a Pinnacle PCTV rave (the bad one) with a BT878, and a Miro PCTV
(the good one) with a BT848.  I initially chose the wrong card-ID for the 848
thinking the Pinnacle PCTV and the Miro PCTV were identical cards.
(Dunno why I made that mental mistake, maybe the [name-] likeness?)
Therefore the 848 tuner did not work (at all) at first so then I concentrated
on the other (BT878) card which, in hindsight, was probably broken. Sigh.

> Let me know if you (try and) succeed at tuning your tuner.

This PCTV rave card has no accessible parts in the tuner. No holes, and fully
soldered shut.  Yes, it was a good idea but alas it won't work in this case.

Maarten

--
Linux: Because rebooting is for adding hardware.