[mythtv-users] Stop showing TV when idle?

Owen B. Mehegan owen at nerdnetworks.org
Mon Mar 29 23:36:45 EST 2004

My roommates have yet to grasp the concept of MythTV; they have a
tendency to start watching a show, and then just turn off the TV when
they're done, leaving MythTV cranking away at whatever channel is on,
with no one watching. Tonight I came home and mythfrontend was hung,
apparently because it had been left playing for 24 hours. It was easy
enough to killall mythfrontend and then start it up again, but I'm
trying to make those types of interventions as infrequent as possible.

Is there some way to get Myth to prompt you after a certain amount of
idle activity (maybe no channel surfing or something) to keep watching
or stop? Then maybe there would be a 15 second timer, and when it
expires, Myth kills the TV and flips back to the menu? Or should I not
care about this?

/Owen