[mythtv-users] nVidia GF4 mx440 tv-out optimization

Chris chasejunk at optonline.net
Tue Mar 30 09:50:33 EST 2004

I have same board - a MSI K7N2GM-L, using onboard video and sound.  I
have a used WinTV Go card (which is mono sound).

inline

On 3/28/2004 1:51 PM, Ville Vehvilainen wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Mar 2004 blacklion at blacklion.org wrote:
>

>>On another note, I haven't been impressed so far with the Live TV
>>picture.  I'm sure there is more configuration that I could do.  I just
>>need some direction.  Here are the two problems I'm seeing:
>>
>>1. Light colors and whites have hardly any detail at all.  They are just
>>so bright that all the detail is just washed out.
>>
>>2. I'm not sure what to call it, but I see a lot of "jitter" or
>>horizontal lines during fast moving scenes on TV.  I've activated the
>>"Jitter reduction" option in the TV settings, but that doesn't seem to
>>help.
>

> These problems are exactly what I see when trying to use my NForce2
> integrated GF4MX. (The board is the MSI K7N2G.) Either the blacks are too
> dark, or the whites washed out, and the maximum available brightness
> leaves much to be desired. This is using the SVideo output to a fairly
> high-quality 100Hz television.
>
> I see the horizontal lines also, unless I turn on the "deinterlace
> playback" option - in which case fast-moving scenes, such as in sports,
> are jerky.

These are exactly the problems that I am having:

whites saturate and no detail in black areas either, plus the image
overall is dark.  I have a slight red shift (unnatural skin tones) that
I have trying to correct with the XV color controls.

And sports are lousy!  Watching the NCAA basketball tourney looked like
I was watching old archive footage on ESPN Classic.

But I haven't been sure if these problems were with the capture software
or the graphics TV output.  My guess would be the sports problem was
capture (compression) problems while the others were TV card?  But it
looks like people are suggesting its a poor deinterlacing problem?

Well, at least the kids shows (cartoons) look fine :-)

Chris