[mythtv-users] Best distribution for MythTV with Bt848 and C-Media Cm8738 audio?

Apollo (Carmel Entertainment) lists at carmelme.com
Tue Mar 30 11:22:15 EST 2004

Since I don't play with Kernel (I don't know how to compile)...
Is there a RPM of Kernel and Kernel-source that I could download either for
Fedora or for Mandrake and an example of a configuration somewhere for bt848.
Re. card type it is STB, but sombebody told me it is type=2 card (hauppauge's
bt848) with phillips NTSC+FM tunner. I am willing to play with the config file,
I just have hard time with any compiling.

Re. audio card, it should be loading cmipci module from kernel and working with
alsa.

> On Tuesday 30 March 2004 07:49, Apollo (Carmel Entertainment) wrote:
> > So for past 3 weeks I haven't been able to make my Bt848 capture card &
> > Cmedia CM838 (w/ spdif) to work. I tried Mandrake 10 and Fedora (KnoppMyth
> > was an absolute failure), but when I made audio card work I tried to make
> > capture card work. After I did bttv, the audio (ALSA) would stop working.
> > I tried that Howto for Fedora, but it concentrated in PVRX50 hardware, not
> > bt848
> >
> > Any advice?
>
> The only thing I know is that you need to know which brand and type the bt848
>
> card is, and configure it according to the docs (in the kernelsource are
> lists of cards and their tuner settings).  For a BT848 card, the lspci output
>
> is not sufficient...  can you find out what card it is ?
>
> Dunno about the soundcard... what's the problem with it ?
>
> Maarten
>
> > Here are the two troublemaker cards...
> > lspci -v output
> >
> > 00:0f.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt848 Video
> > Capture (rev 12)
> >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 3
> >         Memory at cddff000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
> >
> > 00:11.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev
> > 10) Subsystem: Unknown device 17ab:0604
> >         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 10
> >         I/O ports at d400 [size=256]
> >         Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version

Apolinaras "Apollo" Sinkevicius
Carmel Music & Entertainment, LLC
701 Main Street
Evanston, IL 60202
    Phone: (847) 864-5969 X110
      Fax: (847) 864-6149
Toll-free: 800-276-5969 X110
   e-mail: apollo at carmelme.com
 web-site:  http://carmelme.com
Having an event in Chicago, or would you like to bring Chicago entertainment
to your event? Give Carmel Music & Entertainment a call for the finest
entertainment available in Chicago.