[mythtv-users] he shoots. he scores!

Coax coax at cornernet.com
Tue Mar 30 18:13:55 EST 2004

Hello, Ivan.

There is 1 good reason to not use the TV-Out on the PVR-350 for all MythTV
applications.

Its framebuffer (i.e. that which is NOT displayed on /dev/video16) is so
painfully slow, it rivals the first Trident PCI video card ever made. :)
(It doesn't even seem to support XvMC extensions!)

This means it is painfully slow to play anything that is NOT encoded with
MPEG-2..

I have a PVR-350 in my MythTV box (athlon "2200+", which is the 1.8ghz
266fsb chip...) and if I just so happen to disable hardware decoding - and
just out to the framebuffer directly, its like watching TV in slow-motion.
(Meanwhile, the box is absolutely flogged.  load skyrockets.)

I've often thought of obtaining a decently fast video card with a TV-Out
on it - and using the PVR-350 like a PVR-250 and skip the hardware
decoding entirely..  That would allow me to have both a hardware encoder
and a dumb tv card in the box simultaneously. (I happen to have an extra
one those that I want to use - but cant, unless i buy a fast TV-Out card!)

MythTV can encode raw video data to MPEG-4 on the fly, not MPEG-2.  Which
means that ultimately, if you'd like to display video to a PVR-350 in a
reasonable manner, you'd have to transcode your MPEG-4 files into MPEG-2,
and THEN play them.

It'd be interesting if MythTV could support this in the future for PVR-350
users. i.e.  First encode taking data in from dumb capture card to MPEG-4
on the fly, then, mark it "unplayable pending transcode" in the program
list, transcode it to MPEG-II when spare cpu cycles are available (i.e.
renice the transcode process to +20), and then mark it "playable" when the
transcode is complete.  At least then we could play our movies recorded
from dumb capture cards - through the tv-out on our PVR-350! *lol*

Ah well. just thinking aloud.

Chad