[mythtv-users] PVR-350 as sound output?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun May 2 19:22:31 EDT 2004

Grant Edwards wrote:

>I'm going to install MythMusic and was wondering if there's any
>practical way to use a PVR-350 as a sound output device.  The
>standard solution for playing music and watching TV on on box
>seems to be to run the sound from the '350 through the sound
>board.

PVR-350 sound is only output by the on-board decoder.  Therefore, if
using anything other than hardware decoding, the sound output is not
used.  That means xmms, MythMusic, MythGame, MPlayer, and xine (i.e.
both MythVideo and MythDVD) will need to use your sound card.

>Since I've got enough inputs, maybe I'll just hook both up to
>my amp...

Or, you could pass the PVR-350's sound through the sound card to save an
input on your A/V receiver and allow you to switch Myth modules without
having to change your receiver's selected input.  It's not like you'll
be losing quality--the PVR-350 only outputs 2-channel (stereo) analog
sound (which--depending on input--may include Pro Logic encoding).

HTH.

Mike