[mythtv-users] HDTV/CPU survey

Sun May 2 19:53:48 EDT 2004

   I sent an email to Jack Kelliher at pcHDTV last week asking about the
status for an "official" 2.6.x driver.
   He replied, and said he is just finishing it up.  He should be able
to post it on the pcHDTV site in about a week.
   With this news, I decided to install Fedora Core 2 test 3 on a
partition which I have been holding in reserve.  Install was easy, no
problems at all.
   Getting an nVidia driver to function was a little bit of work, but
got that going as well.
   I compiled up the latest MythTV from CVS, with Daniel's recorder
patch, but not his playback patch.  I also used his recommended compile
settings.
   I have not installed a HD-2000 driver under this rig yet, but I setup
Myth and ported my mythconverg database over.
   Anyway, I can play back programs in this system using Myth, and they
are silky smooth.  Even the slow pans have NO problems.  Best HD
playback I have ever seen under Myth.  I don't know if it is because of
the "low latency" in the 2.6.6 kernel, or Daniel's compile settings for
Myth/libavcodec etc or both.
   I will reboot under my Fedora Core 1 (2.4.25 kernel), and try
compiling up Myth with the same settings, and see what happens.
   One problem I am having under Fedora Core 2, is mythfrontend is
insisting on running in a window.  I have tried toggling that setting,
but it does not make any difference.  I don't know if it is a problem
with the latest CVS or Fedora Core 2.  I guess I will find out when I
compile it up under Fedora Core 1.

John