[mythtv-users] Problems with PVR-250 MCE OEM card - PAL version[long]

Jon Waite jon at jonwaite.com
Mon May 3 02:13:41 EDT 2004

Hey, another Kiwi !

(Actually, I'm an imported Kiwi - only moved out here 2.5 years ago from the
UK, but close enough).

Yes, prices for PVR-250 and PVR-350 cards in NZ are a ripoff, so do what I
did - get in touch with Hauppauge US, who will put you on to Hauppauge in
Singapore who will quite happily ship you the cards (mine arrived in about a
week), and charge you MUCH more realistic prices, my PVR-350 was NZ$330 (US
$206) including air freight and if I remember correctly, the PVR-250's are
about NZ$260 (US$163) landed.

Bit late for you if you've bought MCE PVR-250's and can't get them working,
but may help someone else out there.

Incidentally I know the owner of one of the NZ component suppliers quite
well, and the quantities of these cards sold in NZ are so low that his BUY
price for these cards from his distributors is significantly (like double)
the prices you can get ordering them direct from Hauppauge Singapore. This
is why the cards are a) hard to find in Aus/NZ and b) extremely overpriced
when you can find them.

I've got my MythTV box working fine with NZ Free to Air broadcast channels,
looking at hooking it up to dual Sky Digital Satellite decoders next... I'm
using an XBox frontend (NZ$200 - US$125 including the DVD remote pack from
Cash Converters!) and considering adding another 1 or 2 of these too since
this one's so good.