[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Tue May 4 12:18:33 EDT 2004

--- James Orr <james at orrwhat.net> wrote:
snip

> > The competition for the future likely comes from
> the
> > BitTorrent type access to HDTV within minutes
> after a
> > TV show airs. Even now you can grab nice versions
> of
> > the Sopranos etc right after the airing on the
> East
> > Coast. No tv-card needed.
>
> Which is illegal.
>
> --
> James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>

I don't know about that, (as Chris pointed out) it
seems that http://www.digeo.com/
has a way around that.

Again, I hate to pop any bubbles, but I just don't see
a prebuilt MythTV market except in the high end. And
that is a extremely flakey market to aim for. Lot's of
luck.

On the other hand, I have seen a viable market (here
in the SF Bay area anyway) for essentially MythTV
build-it classes where support and hardware are
supplied. A rented conference room and some marketing
and you're off and running.

There are quite a few technology junkies here who just
don't have the background but still enjoy the whole
hobbyist aspect of a MythTV PVR once they see it.
Following this approach you are not competing with
TiVo at all. Essentially you are competing with Home
Depot. I would assume that market probably exists in
other cities as well.

Daryl