[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Tue May 4 13:11:55 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 12:18, daryl faulds wrote:
> --- James Orr <james at orrwhat.net> wrote:
> snip
> >
> > > The competition for the future likely comes from
> > the
> > > BitTorrent type access to HDTV within minutes
> > after a
> > > TV show airs. Even now you can grab nice versions
> > of
> > > the Sopranos etc right after the airing on the
> > East
> > > Coast. No tv-card needed.
> >
> > Which is illegal.
> >
> > --
> > James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>
> >

> I don't know about that, (as Chris pointed out) it
> seems that http://www.digeo.com/
> has a way around that.

Oh, it's definitly illegal.

I pay for HBO.  If you download the Sopranos and view it, you got it for
free while I paid for it.  You've stolen that program in a much more
real sense than if you edited out commercials.  If enough people do it,
it will drive up my cost.

I don't know about digeo or how it works,  I couldn't see anything about
redistributing shows over the internet on their webpage, but if they do
perhaps they redistribute *with* commercials still in.  I'm sure they
have agreements with all the networks involved.  As HBO/Showtime are not
commercial supported I doubt they can redistribute shows on those
networks.

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>