[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

James Orr james at orrwhat.net
Tue May 4 15:04:46 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 14:05, daryl faulds wrote:
> I was writing about what digeo labels "VOD" where a
> cable subscriber will not need to home-record the
> Sopranos (for example) when the show airs to be able
> to watch it at any convenient off-broadcast time. VOD
> is set to allow viewing a cable show anytime a
> subscriber wants. No additional tv tuner needed. As I
> understand it, VOD is not like FTP, for a number of reasons.

VOD (Video On Demand) is fed by your cable provider, they know if you
subscribe to HBO or not and can therefore offer those shows or not offer
them.  It's NOT a bit-torrent style distribution.  A bit-torrent style
distribution would mean you're downloading shows from people all over
the world regardless of what cable subscription options you have.

--
James Orr <james at orrwhat.net>