[mythtv-users] HDTV Dolby 5.1 broadcasts

Tue May 4 15:56:33 EDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Scott W. Edwards wrote:

> HDTV gurus,
> I recorded "The Practice" (HDTV) the other night and when I went to play
> it back I had no sound except for the commercial breaks and the title. I
> looked at the logs and this show is using Dolby 5.1 sound instead of
> stereo. I am assuming that this is why I have no audio out. All I need
> is the stereo channels. Is this possible without going to a receiver
> with Dolby decoding?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott W. Edwards

I personally want the raw DD 5.1 sent out the S/PDIF to my receiver, so it
has been a long time since I did what you are asking.

I know that mplayer will do DD 5.1 decoding in software for you.  I am
pretty sure that Myth would do the same.

Are you using ALSA?  Do you have "AC3 passthrough" (or what ever it is
called) UNchecked?

John