[mythtv-users] Linux standalone playback of MPEG4-encoded NUV files?

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue May 4 16:31:39 EDT 2004

On Monday 03 May 2004 21:48, Mark Haun wrote:
> I have an incredibly simple problem, but haven't seen any recent
> postings addressing it, nor anything in the documentation, so here
> goes:
>
> I would like to transfer some NUV files from my working MythTV
> installation to a laptop for later viewing.  These are MPEG4-encoded
> files.  So far, the only suggestions I have been able to glean from
> the archives are
>
> 1)  Recent versions of mplayer.  But according to the documentation,
> this does not support MPEG4 NUV files.  There is mention of a patch
> (in the ancient records...); it is not clear whether this is the same
> functionality which is now incorporated into the pre1.0 series.
>
> 2)  Windows Media Player using the directshow filters at
> dsmyth.sourceforge.net.  I tried this (it works), but I want to view
> the files on a laptop without a windows partition.  Anyway, I'm sure
> there's a better way on Linux; that's there they were recorded in the
> first place, after all.
>
> I don't want to transcode, just play these in their original format.
> Also, I don't have fast net access to my remote backend server, so
> streaming the video is not an option.  Any other suggestions?

Why not install Mythtv on your laptop (since it's a Linux box).  You
should be able to view any Myth-playable content with the 'mythtv'
application (just a wrapper around the Myth internal player).  You
*might* not even need database access for this...

... ok, just checked and it seems to want to access my DB... maybe a
dummy DB would suffice?  It shouldn't need the backend if you give it a
local filename to play.

Worth a shot, anyway.

-JAC