[mythtv-users] Question about Shutdown in MythSetup

Mitko Haralanov voidtrance at comcast.net
Tue May 4 18:26:59 EDT 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004 10:27:28 -0700
Mitko Haralanov <voidtrance at comcast.net> wrote:

> 	Hi, I finally got my Chaintech mobo to wakeup by itself using
> nvram-wakeup and I got all the scripts and tweaks setup so I can
> schedule a wake-up bu just running one script.
> 	The next step was setting up Myth to actually do that by itself.
> stopped the front- and backends, and I re-ran mythtvsetup. I set
> everything up (below are the relevant lines from the database):
>
> | idleTimeoutSecs            | 35                           | NULL |
> | idleWaitForRecordingTime   | 25                           | NULL |
> | StartupSecsBeforeRecording | 300                          | NULL |
> | WakeupTimeFormat           | time_t                       | NULL |
> | SetWakeuptimeCommand       | echo $time > /tmp/nvram.time | NULL |
> | ServerHaltCommand          | /usr/sbin/mythshutdown       | NULL |
>

> However, the problem is that Myth did not so any of the above
> mentioned tasks. Last night all recording stopped at 12:30am and there
> is nothing scheduled until tonight at 10:00pm so I assumed that at
> around 1:05am(12:30 + 35), myth would shutdown for the night. That did
> not happen.
>
> This morning, I checked whether a /tmp/nvram.time file exists and it
> did not.
>
> Any insight into this would be very appreciated as I am so close to
> getting this to work..

Upon further investigation, I found out that in order for the backend to
enter idle mode, there should not be any clients connect to it.

If my machines is a combined backend/frontend, does the frontend use
persistent connections (meaning it is connected as long as it is
running)?

If that is the case, a combined backend/frontend system will never go
into idle unless, I exit the frontend (which is not very convenient
since that means I have to exit and re-start mythfrontend every time I
stop/start watching anything)

Any help or ideas will be appreciated...

--
Mitko Haralanov
voidtrance at comcast dot net