[mythtv-users] Prebuilt Commercial MythTV PVR in Australia

Peter Valdemar Morch swp5jhu02 at sneakemail.com
Tue May 4 20:44:34 EDT 2004

Daniel Sheppard daniels-at-pronto.com.au |Lists| wrote:
> Aren't they obligated to provide source downloads for the software? I
> was under the impression that myth was under the GPL.

If you buy one of their boxes, you are entitled copies to all software
that is "derived from" any GPL software they use. But not until you
aquire their product. They are not required to give out their source for
free without you getting their product. But once you have a copy, you
can give it to whomever you like for free.

I must admit that the definition of when a particular piece of software
is "derived from" a piece of GPL software is a little fuzzy, at least to
me. Read it yourself (its quite short) at:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

Peter
--
Peter Valdemar Mørch