[mythtv-users] Re: mythmusic not responding to keys

Mike Jasper e394td at comcast.net
Wed May 5 00:24:47 EDT 2004

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> Peter Valdemar Mørch wrote:
>>
>> Indeed, unless LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 is set, hitting pause in
>> mythmusic freezes mythfrontend GUI for a while (up to about 25 secs)
>> and then pauses as was intended.
>>
>> Running like:
>>
>> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 mythfrontend
>>
>> Makes mythmusic behave. Strange! Anybody with a theory?
>>
>> I'm running with the 2.4.22-1.2135.nptl_27.rhfc1.at kernel, but I've
>> previously seen that for 2.6 kernels, rpm misbehaves unless
>> LD_ASSUME_KERNEL is set.
>>
>> Whats the story with LD_ASSUME_KERNEL anyway? Googling just turns up a
>> gazillion applications that need this setting.
>

> Your kernel is a Native POSIX Thread Library (NPTL) compatible 2.4.x
> kernel (i.e. includes a bunch of Red Hat patches), so most likely your
> glibc is NPTL-based.  To verify, run:
> /lib/libc.so.6
> and look for something to the effect of "NPTL 0.61 by Ulrich Drepper"
> (which means you're using NPTL).  If you don't see it, run:
> objdump -x /lib/libpthread.so.0 | grep "nptl_main"
> and if you get any output you're using NPTL.
>
> Setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 uses the "old" standard linuxthreads
> (basically disables NPTL support by using a non-NPTL glibc on your
> system).  My guess is you have a MythMusic plugin compiled with
> linuxthreads and something in it doesn't play nice with NPTL.  Where/how
> did you get MythMusic?

I have EXACTLY the same problem.  It's been sitting on my to-do list for
a while - I never would have guessed this fix.

Like Peter, running 'LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 mythfrontend' makes all my
mythmusic problems disappear.  The pause button, etc., work perfectly
whereas before most of the controls would freeze mythfrontend (music
would continue playing, but all GUI controls would be frozen).

Is there any downside to prefacing 'mythfrontend' with
'LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1'?

I'm running FC1, using Axel's kernel and mythtv packages (see below).
I'm using kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl_47.rhfc1.at, which would make you
think it's NPTL-compatible.  However, /lib/libc.so.6 does not output the
"NPTL 0.61 by Ulrich Drepper" line.  And the objdump command you
mentioned returns nothing.

$ rpm -qa | egrep '(kernel|myth)'
mythtv-0.14-58.rhfc1.at
mythdvd-0.14-23.rhfc1.at
mythtv-theme-sleek-0.35-1.at
mythbrowser-0.14-9.rhfc1.at
mythnews-0.14-15.rhfc1.at
mythweb-0.14-44.rhfc1.at
kernel-2.4.22-1.2179.nptl_47.rhfc1.at
kernel-utils-2.4-9.1.101.fedora
libmyth-0.14-58.rhfc1.at
mythtv-frontend-0.14-58.rhfc1.at
mythvideo-0.14-41.rhfc1.at
mythtv-theme-photo-4-5.at
mythtv-theme-visor-0.13.1-3.at
mythtv-theme-gant-0.pr1-1.at
mythmkmovie-1.0.1-3.rhfc1.at
mythgallery-0.14-45.rhfc1.at
mythmusic-0.14-45.rhfc1.at
mythweather-0.14-42.rhfc1.at
mythtv-suite-0.14-37.at
mythtv-backend-0.14-58.rhfc1.at
mythtv-theme-purplegalaxy-0.20031214-2.at
mythgame-0.14-44.rhfc1.at
$

$ /lib/libc.so.6
GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
Compiled by GNU CC version 3.3.2 20031218 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-5).
Compiled on a Linux 2.4.20 system on 2004-01-06.
Available extensions:
         GNU libio by Per Bothner
         crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
         linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
         The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
         BIND-8.2.3-T5B
         NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
         Glibc-2.0 compatibility add-on by Cristian Gafton
         libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
Thread-local storage support included.
Report bugs using the `glibcbug' script to <bugs at gnu.org>.
$