[mythtv-users] Success story

Steven Rubano srubano at ccap.net
Fri May 7 10:17:25 EDT 2004

First here is my system:

-          Asus Pundit case with p4 1.6GHz proc and 512meg of ram

-          Maxtor 160 Gig hard drive, 7200rpm 8mb cache

-          Knoppmyth R4 V2

-          PVR-350 using the supplied IR receiver

-          Home brew IR blaster

So far my system has been up and running for over a month and a half without
a hitch! What I've come to relies (as I am sure most of you have figured
out) is that if you leave MythTV in "Watch TV" mode, this will cause lockups
or stuttering video after some time. Now most of us can't help it, you just
want to turn off the TV and walk away most times (just as what I was
doing..hey I'm a new Dad with a 3 month old :-) ). What I did to over come
this problem is I purchased a Sony Universal Learning remote with Macro
programming. I labeled one button "Watch TV" and another button labeled "TV
Off". The macro for the "Watch TV" is set to turn on my TV, turn on my amp
and set it to the right settings for TV viewing and to "click enter" to
select the Watch TV on Myth (Watch TV is always highlighted). This way it
goes right into watching TV. Now the button I have programmed for "TV Off"
does the following, it "clicks Exit" for MythTV so that it drops back to the
main menu, turns off my TV then turns off my amp, this way Live TV is not
always being buffered into Myth. With this setup I have had close to a month
and a half up time with no reboots!

I wonder, would it be possible to program Myth to have "shortcut" keys? Like
if I press "L" it will bring me right into watching live TV or "W" that will
bring me right into Weather and so on? This would be a great feature! You
wouldn't have to scroll through all the menus to get to what you want and
you could program macros on these learning remotes to turn on the features
you want in Myth instantly!

Well, I just wanted to share my success story with you guys and to thank ALL
the developers of MythTV, Knoppmyth, LiRC, ivtv and every other single piece
of software that is used to make Myth work. This thing has been awesome..no
more missed shows or movies..when the baby cries, hit pause live TV and tend
to him! :-)

Thanks again all!

Steve

individual(s) named. If you are not the named addressee you should not
this e-mail from your system. The sender does not accept liability for any
errors or omissions in the content of this message.