[mythtv-users] Optimum encoding for remote mythtv

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Mon May 10 11:57:20 EDT 2004

Not sure if this has been addressed yet, as I just caught this reply and
I'm not using threaded messaging.... but:

You won't help your download times be leaving the bitrate the same.  The
video will still be the exact same size:  3000 kilobytes-per-second.
The only thing that will change by reducing the resolution, is slightly
better quality on a TV, because you're encoding less pixels, but more
information about them.  Make sense?  I can't think of a better laymen's
way to explain but someone else probably can.

So I would suggest doing both:  reduce resolution to, say, 352x480, and
drop the resolution a bit until you find it just acceptable to watch.
i.e. 2000kbps might look really bad at 720x480, but not quite so bad at
352x480.