[mythtv-users] sound problem partially fixed

David david at davidwadler.com
Wed May 12 04:09:51 EDT 2004

Well, it took some time, but I'm now running Gentoo instead of Fedora.  I
installed Myth this evening with "alsa" in my USE flag, hoping that I
could avoid the issues I had with sound during my previous install/setup.
This time, audio us nicely synced with video.  However, the distortion and
graininess of the sound is awful.

I combed the old messages and searched Google for ideas on how to get Myth
to use ALSA.  I'm able to do it with xmms right now.  However, ALSA
options don't present themselves in Myth.  I force-fed an option into the
DB, but that didn't work either.  According to a message or two that I
read from this list, emerging the gentoo package with an alsa USE flag
will enable ALSA.  It doesn't seem to be the case, but I don't know.  Is
there a command line option to see what Myth is supporting, i.e. xvmc,
alsa, etc.?

Also, if anyone has ideas about what I can do to correct this sound
problem, I'd be grateful.

Time for bed,
David (4:17 AM)