[mythtv-users] slightly OT: init.d

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Thu May 13 10:33:58 EDT 2004

On Thursday 13 May 2004 03:46, Chris Delis wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:40:26PM -0700, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > So I recently upgraded my system from mysql (standard fedora 3.23
> > rpm) to MySQL (mysql.com 4.0.18 rpm).  Somehow this has changed the
> > order in which the init.d startup scripts are executed, such that
> > mythbackend is started before mysql, which causes mythbackend to
> > freak out and exit.
>
> It appears that the links to your init.d scripts are named such
> mythbackend comes before mysql.  Scripts get run during each run
> level based on their sort order.  I'm running a Debian system which
> may be somewhat different than fedora, but here's one way to find out
> all the links to my mysql and mythbackend init.d scripts.
>
> find  /etc/rc?.d -print | egrep "mysql|myth"
>
> /etc/rc0.d/K20mysql
> /etc/rc1.d/K20mysql
> /etc/rc2.d/S20mysql
> /etc/rc3.d/S20mysql
> /etc/rc4.d/S20mysql
> /etc/rc5.d/S20mysql
> /etc/rc6.d/K20mysql
>
> I don't happen to have a mythbackend script in my startup.  But if I
> did, it's link might be called something like S19mythbackend and it
> would run before S20mysql.  One solution would be to rename
> S19mythbackend to, say, S20mythbackend.
>
> > Short of putting a second call for mythbackend into rc.local, does
> > anyone know of a quick fix for this?

Chris D. is right.  Also, I don't know what you've installed on your
system, but both GNOME and KDE have graphical service configuration
editors that allow you to change the ordering of services.  There's
also the 'redhat-config-services' tool on RedHat/Fedora, but AFAIK that
only lets you turn services on/off, not change the ordering.

-JAC