[mythtv-users] New Backend recommendations needed

Thomas Lann doctorubel at yahoo.com
Thu May 13 18:08:56 EDT 2004

Do you mean a backend/frontend?
The reason I ask is that I would think that if you are
going to use it just for a backend you would not need
a remote control as well as TV-out, sound card and a
video card.

If you do want a backend/frontend, I like the budget
7NIF2 Nvidia2 chipset board.  It has plenty of USB
ports as well as pretty good built in spdif sound and
LAN.

For TVout you can spend about $35 on a Chaintech 8x
AGP 64MB GeForce 4 MX video card.  It has a pretty
decent picture.

I'm sure there are a large amount of opinions on what
a good case is.  I picked the Antec Overture because
it looks nice and is pretty cheap ($100).  The
overture is a desktop case with a piano black finish.
It is put together to make alot of things easy and the
case quiet.  The case comes with a removable hd bay
and a quiet PS.  The front USB and Firewire ports are
also nice.  The only drawback is its regular desktop
case size and it may be to long for a home
entertainment center.

If your looking for a nice looking budget tower you
may want to take a look at the Antec Overture.  It has
similiar features.

To get a remote you could get a second PVR250 that
comes with an IR remote.

I'm not sure if the ATI All in wonder is supported.  I
remember reading somewhere about something of ATI's
that doesn't work.

The good thing about the above setup, is that you can
use Jarod's guide with it if you install Fedora.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thomas