[mythtv-users] GUI Fonts and DPI

Darren Hart darren-keyword-mythtv?users.66bee7 at dvhart.com
Thu May 13 22:07:02 EDT 2004

Before I rant on fonts, let me say I love MythTV and finally built a
dual tuner (pvr350+pvr250) box using ivtv-fb and I love it!  Great work
all!

Each of my themes uses FreeMono and FreeSans (which IMNSHO are just
hideous).  I checked and G.A.N.T for example tries to use Arial.  I have
Arial installed (/usr/share/fonts/truetype).  I copied to
/usr/share/mythtv (where those Free* fonts are installed) and made sure
that font path was in my XF86Config-4.  What do I need to do to get
MythTV to use Arial when the theme requests it?

Also, may I suggest a more attractive set of default fonts?  Perhaps the
Bitstream Vera package?  I believe it is free and it's installable from
stock Debian (SID).

Lastly, I set the DisplaySize in the Monitor section of XF86Config-4 to
match my television.  The resulting DPI is something like 25, which is
correct.  This results in miniscule fonts, even though it is correct for
my 32" television.

Thanks,

Darren