[mythtv-users] Two 0,15 cvs problems

Mikhail D'Vane mikhaildvane at hotmail.com
Sat May 15 13:28:06 EDT 2004

>From: Gerald Schepens <schepens at shaw.ca>
>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Two 0,15 cvs problems
>Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 21:27:38 -0600
>
>I have a hunch that the video display problem isn't with your svideo input.
>Try going in to live tv, switching to svideo (which will probably be
>garbled), exiting live TV and going back in again. If your system behaves
>like mine, the svideo input will be OK now, but the tuner will be scrambled
>if you switch to it.

Yep, you're right.  It seems that the display is ok when I select
"Watch TV", but it gets scrambled when I change card inputs
while watching live tv.  Specifically, it looks like the screen is
stretched vertically, (with only about the top half of the actual
video showing), and repeated twice horizontally.

>Maybe there is something in the code that initialises the open video stream
>when you first go into live tv that isn't done when you change inputs. I
>don't know what that "something" is -- like I say, I couldn't get
>test_ioctl to detect a difference between the stream behaving itself and
>the messed-up stream, but I think there's probably something that happens
>to the stream when it gets opened, but doesn't happen when the input source
>is switched.

That sounds like a good theory - it fits the behavior I'm seeing.

>This could still be an ivtv thing, not a myth thing. Maybe the ivtv modules
>do something special when the stream is first opened that isn't done when
>someone just issues a command to change the input. On the other hand, you
>and I have two different sets of ivtv drivers but the same version of
>myth...

And... more importantly, with 0.14 of myth (and the same version
of ivtv) it doesn't happen.  (I have my main system to prove that.)

The culprit may be the combo of CVS myth and ivtv, but there's
definintely something with myth that's caused it to crop up.