[mythtv-users] Forums

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon May 17 12:41:46 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 08:41:46AM -0400, Jeff Muddy Waters wrote:

>> That's been my experience in the past with other "forums". The
>> technically savvy tend to prefer mailing lists or newsgroups
>> (which IMO, are far, far easier to use and a much more
>> efficient use of my time). If somebody wants to start a forum
>> and fragment things even further, I certainly am not going to
>> tell them they can't.
>
> My problems are with the highly inefficient use of space, CPU
> and time that a mail list requires.

CPU's and disks and RAM all exist to save _me_ time, not the
other way around.

> It's far more efficient in my eyes to put all things mythtv
> related (mythtv, lirc, ivtv) into one spot so if you so choose
> to do a search it covers all areas. Also when I ask a question
> in a mail list it's sometimes impossible to determine if
> you've had an answer. However like I said it's all personal
> preference.

True.  I know people who seem to like web-based UIs.  I think
they're horrible.  The worst part is they're all different.  I
subscribe to a dozen or so mailing lists.  The UI for _all_ of
them is 1) identical 2) completely configurable by the USER.
With forums, they're all completely different and I can't set
up the UI the way I like it.  If all the forums had the _same_
awful UI, at least a person could be come accustomed to it.

> Besides do you realize how much HD space the 2 years of this
> one mail list alone soaked up? I never realized I had so much
> space until I deleted it all but this months.

Are you claiming that the same material in HTML would take up
less disk space?

--
Grant Edwards
grante at visi.com