[mythtv-users] Dedicated TV-card vs AGP card with TV-out

Steve Dobson steve.dobson at uthink.co.uk
Mon May 17 17:14:25 EDT 2004

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:36:00AM -0700, Matthew Ballard wrote:
> At 09:13 AM 5/17/2004 -0400, you wrote:
> >3) Has anyone ever heard of a wireless lan card that uses USB instead of
> >PCI?  I don't like the idea of plugging in a bunch of external USB devices,
> >but I suppose it would be an OK solution if I decided to use the PCI slot
> >for the PVR-250.  I suppose I could even put it inside the case if there is
> >room and I can figure out how to do it.
>
> The other option (still external) is a wireless bridge like this one for G:
> http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=603
> which is available for the different technologies, and as long as there's a
> working Ethernet port, it doesn't need any drivers.

Under 2.4.x the drivers were written and released by Atmel, but under 2.6.x
it has been re-written and is now part of the kernel.  There were some
issues with the interrupt handling which have now been fixed (see the
change log for 2.6.6).  I helped Simon Kelly test this patch and have
been running it, without issue, for some weeks now in my 2.6.4 kernel.

While the Atmel device I use is a PCMCIA device and not a USB one the Atmel
chip works well for me.  However, a friend of my has a Atmel USB device
working for Linux, I'm not sure which kernel version he is using.

Hope this helps.
Steve