[mythtv-users] "Channelized" camera feeds for Myth

Vincent K. Britton Vincent.Britton at wiznet.com
Wed May 19 14:54:27 EDT 2004

The device you are looking for is called a channel modulator.

Here is a link to some modulators, they take composite in and then
output as a channel:  http://www.smarthome.com/av_mod.html

These devices multiplex video sources on to existing cable.  I'm pretty
sure you could just not have an input but have an output, but I have
never done it.  I have only seen devices that support up to 4 sources
(cameras in your case), I imagine you could daisy chain them for
additional sources but again this is untested.

As others have said you would need a separate Tuner card for each camera
(channel) but you would only need one backend.  If you get pvr250's they
will use the hardware mpeg encoders so CPU utilization will be low.

Does this answer all your questions?

Vince