Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] quality question.. ways to make it better?

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Thu May 20 12:18:52 EDT 2004

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:53:13 -0700
> From: Garry <garry at sneakyninja.net>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] quality question.. ways to make it better?
> To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>
> Craig Tinson wrote:
>
> > hey guys.. have a general question regarding quality..
> >
> > my current setup is a Athlon 1800XP / 120Gb / 512Mb / AverTV Studio
> > for the backend
> >
> > an Athlon 1.4Ghz / 120gb / 512Mb / Radeon 9200 SE for the front
> end..
> > the composite out goes through to a composite-scart converter which
> is
> > plugged into the TV.
> >
> > I'm in the UK and have NTL Cable.. so I have a coax arial cable
> from
> > the output of the cable box running to the arial cable on the TV
> card
> > in the backend..
> >
> > I've set the recording profile for LiveTV to mpeg4 and set it to
> > pretty much maximum quality.. but its still quite "bitty" (not a
> lot..
> > but you can see it).. and the colors just seem really dull.. it
> seems
> > to lose the vibrant quality from the original..
> >
> > Is there anything fundamentally wrong with this setup? is there
> > anything I can do to make it better without shedding out tons of
> cash?
> >
> > Also.. am using the latest CVS version..
> >
> > [root at mythtv1 root]# rpm -qa | grep mythtv-backend
> > mythtv-backend-0.15-69cvs.rhfc1.at
> > [root at mythtv1 root]# rpm -qa | grep mythtv-frontend
> > mythtv-frontend-0.15-69cvs.rhfc1.at
> >
> > I've tried pressing "G" and adjusting color/hue/brightness etc..
> but
> > that doesn't seem to do very much..
> >
> > Setup was from Jarods guide and am up to date I think with
> everything
> > else.. (apt-get dist-upgrade says I am anyways)
> >
> > Thanks for any ideas..
> >
> > Craig

Use rtjpeg for the initial record, this includes live viewing.
(I use a rate of 210, default is 170. YMMV)

It uses FAR less CPU, and will provide a far better picture.

mpeg4 can look OK if you use hq/4mv options, but make sure you have a
very very fast CPU. (2700+ gets buried) Those are the options you want
for the transcode.

The rtjpeg record then mpeg4 transcode sequence is how the system was
meant to work. It works well.
--
Gregory J. McGee <gjmcgee at cableone.net>