[mythtv-users] Transcoding, remotely?

John Sturgeon john at sturgeonfamily.com
Thu May 20 12:58:32 EDT 2004

Angel Li wrote:

>Chris Petersen said:
>

>>>Can nuvexport be used for HDTV content?  I get "Illegal nuv file
>>>format:".
>>>

>>No, it doesn't work with hdtv because the file format isn't recognized
>>by mpgtx or tcprobe...  I've been working with Angel Li offlist to try
>>to support this.  midentify seems to report the necessary info, but it
>>doesn't seem to be part of the standard rpm package I get from atrpms,
>>so I'm sort of at a standstill...
>>

>Here's what I have installed on my mythtv system:
>
>    myth* rpm -qa | grep mplayer
>    mplayer-1.0-32_pre4.rhfc1.at
>    mplayer-skins-1.0-pre3_12.at
>    mplayer-fonts-1.0-5.at
>
>I'm pretty sure I used synaptic to download these packages.
>
>I haven't had much time to play around with my mythtv box as of late but
>starting next week I should have much more free time to figure out how to
>transcode the HDTV files to something smaller. At 6 gigs an hour you can
>chew up a disk pretty quickly.
>
>Angel

Great!

Thanks Angel, I've been trying to use transcode (v0.6.12) but have yet
to be successfull.  It also appears that avidemux2 does not like HDTV
content either.  I recently joined the 'transcode-users' mailing list
(gee... I wonder if they have a wiki? ;), so I hope to get more familiar
with howto use it.  I'm not at this point which might be better suited
for HDTV content, mencoder, or transcode.

Good luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

--
John Sturgeon <><