[mythtv-users] Feature request. MythVideo folder browser.

Isaac Richards ijr at po.cwru.edu
Sat May 22 00:51:51 EDT 2004

On Saturday 22 May 2004 12:14 am, S. Baker wrote:
> (can't do that 'cause there isn't a TODO list anywhere
> to be found).

Bruce Markey just posted a short bug list to the -dev mailing list.  A few of
the items have been issues since the last release, if anyone's looking for
something to do.

Want to know what my TODO list is?

- Add info to the bottom of the music selection screen (would have been pretty
obvious to anyone using CVS mythmusic over the past few months that this was
on there).
- Finish going over the UI to make sure all of the various patches I applied
from random people didn't make things look bad.
- Fix whatever random bugs I find in the next few days.
- Release 0.15.
- Help Thor get mfd/mfe going and integrated into 0.16.

And that's it.  Want to know how long that's been my TODO list?  About a month
now.  Want to know why?  I'm pretty damn swamped.  Then, when I do have a
little time to work on Myth, I go read my friendly neighborhood -users list,
and it's full of people demanding my time and insisting that I run my project
in a certain way.  (Please note, I'm not directing this at you, S. Baker).

Random feature requests are an annoyance to me, especially poorly phrased ones
-- I don't have enough time to work on what _I_ want to work on, let alone
other people's suggestions.

If you're a developer and want to work on something, don't start off with a
feature request -- if you're making the request in the first place, why not
start off with trying to add the feature yourself?  An email with: 'I'd like
to make it do X, but I'm not sure exactly how to begin' would be a very
welcome change.  As far as code cleanup, I'd be unlikely to accept a cleanup
patch that just came out of the blue -- I'd want to have had some contact
with the person first.  I'm happy to answer development related questions on
the IRC channel, or the -dev list.

Isaac