[mythtv-users] Failed to get TV listings

William Powers wepprop at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 22 16:20:40 EDT 2004

Easy one first.  The backend status page report of the last
mythfilldatabase run won't work properly when using a script like this
in conjunction with tv_grab_na_dd and mythfilldatabase from release 0.14
and prior.  The report of remaining guide data will still be corrrect,
however.

There are some other brokes with this method as well.  For example, the
'Movie' listing in MythWeb won't work.  I'm sure there are other minor
problems as well.

The duplicate entrys sorta sounds like what happens when you run
tv_grab_na_dd without using the --old-chan-id option.  Make sure you
included all of the line continuation characters (' \ ') and that you
didn't insert any extraneous lines between the lines that are spliced
together.   If you have any doubts, change the script to be one long,
continuous command on a single line, like so:

/usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --output ${xml_file} --days ${numdays}
--old-chan-id && /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase --file ${sourceid} ${offset}
${xml_file}

You can also manually run tv_grab_na_dd and mythfilldatabase separately
from the command line using the same options get better insight into
what is going on.  That way you can also look directly at the xml file.

If you did run tv_grab_na_dd without the --old-chan-id options, your
database is most likely messed up.  This can lead to some extremely
undesirable side affects, such as the tuner not changing channels from
one recording to the next.  If you do think your database is borked,
drop it and restore from the backup.

Also, to reinforce what Isaac said earlier - this scripted tv_grab_na_dd
is a complete hack and is totally unsupported by the mythtv developers,
so don't ask them about it.  I consider it suitable only for people who
already know their way around shell scripting and perl and who, for
whatever reason, are unable or unwilling to upgrade their systems at
this time.  Everyone else should wait and upgrade to v. 0.15 as soon as
it is released.