[mythtv-users] (Fwd) tv tuners and information regulation

Harondel J. Sibble help at pdscc.com
Mon May 24 13:37:48 EDT 2004

This got posted on our local lug today.  I'm sure glad I live in Canada

Some related links

http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org/archives/000121.html
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=7503&mode=thread&order=0

Date: 	Mon, 24 May 2004 03:52:46 -0700
From: 	"Wm.G.McGrath" <wgm at telus.net>
To: 	vg <vanlug at gweep.ca>
Subject: 	tv tuners and information regulation
Sender: 	owner-vanlug at gweep.ca

Hi all,

I came across this comment from Don Marti (LJ) about impending
changes to tv-tuner cards in line with IP driven legislation.

" In a major setback for those who choose to build their own
entertainment devices, the US Federal Communications Commission has
approved the so-called "Broadcast Flag" regulation. That's bad news
for Linux boxes, Ultimate and otherwise. Future HDTV-capable tuner
cards will be required to enforce a to-be-determined copy
restriction regime. This is one product category that won't get
better next year; it'll be worse. If you live in the US, before the
end of 2004, if you buy no other PC hardware, pick up a pcHDTV card.
Think of it as the digital equivalent of your dad's humidor of Cuban
cigars. "

  b.