[mythtv-users] PVR-250 transcode settings

Patrik Lockne patrik at lockne.com
Tue May 25 06:52:38 EDT 2004

Hi,

First - let me just tell you my knowledge of video encoding is very
limited. With that said, I have a couple of questions:

I have a PVR-250 recording at 6000 kbps (max 7500) and a resolution of
720x576 (PAL).

Let's say I want to transcode this to a less space hungry format. Would
MPEG4 at 2500 kbps and 640x480 resolution be an acceptable format? (As I
understand it, having a high quality source is important, thus the 6000
kbps recording profile on my PVR-250.)

Also as I understand it, the signal from the PVR 250 is interlaced. It
is deinterlaced when I watch live-TV using the filters I have set up
(kerneldeint,denoise3d). But when I record, is it still interlaced and
unfiltered video being stored in the resulting file (prior to
transcoding) or are my filters applied?

Should I enable the two checkboxes dealing with interlaced MPEG4
compression in my transcoder profile? I guess so if the PVR-250 stream
is saved without filtering, but not if the filters are applied.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

I'm using Axel Thimm's myth-cvs packages for FC2. Great work btw!

Thanks!
Patrik