[mythtv-users] *huge* difference in picture quality..

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Wed May 26 11:04:11 EDT 2004

Op woensdag 26 mei 2004 16:38, schreef Craig Tinson:

> Out of curiosity I moved the backend server to the bedroom.. and
> exchanged the coax to a 1 meter composite cable I had laying around..
> this plugged into the cable box via a scart connector (with passthrough
> back to the portable tv in the bedroom)
>
> *wow*
>
> it's now absolutely perfect.. I seriously cannot distinguish from the
> original source and the resulting picture I have on my frontend back in
> the front room...
>
> if you are like me and are using the coax output from a cable or sky box
> in the uk.. *go and get a compositive cable and scart converter from
> maplins or such*

Are you sure? Maybe you should try S-Video and don't believe your eyes?
Composite is rather crappy since it jams all the video info over one wire.
S-Video has split channels for each of the colors (RGB?) and hue, if I'm not
mistaken. Composite looks 'fuzzy'.

I personaly have had bad luck with SCART converters, bleeding colors, no
colors, etc.

> I was blown away.. and the wifes mouth dropped open when she came home
> and saw the difference...
>
> just thought I'd share.. I wasn't aware of the fact that composite is
> *so* much better than coax...

It shouldn't... Coax is shielded and has thicker wires, composite cables are
regularly not shielded. Though it's probably that the cable box just has
really bad coax output, possibly even with something like macrovision
applied.

	Henk Poley <><