[mythtv-users] MythTV - Complete How-TO build on Fedora Core 2 docs

daryl faulds nannyseeker2003 at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 12:11:14 EDT 2004

> Ok, I did not realize what the process was for
> getting things updated here. My brain must've
> blanked out on the section in the offical doc on
> just those procedures: "1.3 Contributing to this
> document".  During my build out I had pure tunnel
> vision on getting mythtv done and working.  Seeing
> others on the lists having similar issues, I thought
> I'd post my notes.  I'll refrain from doing so in
> the future, and just add to any existing doc.
>
> As I get more feedback on what I have done actually
> works for others, i'll start submitting patches to
> the doc (need to learn a bit more about SGML too).
> Since my build is really generic in nature, I doubt
> there would be that many differences.
>

> -Rod

I appreciated Rod's MythTV set-up guide. The guide
addressed many of the current problems in a clear and
accurate way. The fact of the matter, there was a good
bit of disinformation regarding some issues.

The Nvidia drivers and FC2 was a clear example. There
was nothing about it at the "official" site:
http://fedora.redhat.com/ and other sites
significantly under-represented the problem (a frankly
black display) for example:

http://www.fedorafaq.org/#nvidia

"Q: How do I enable 3D support for my nVidia graphics
card in Fedora Core 2?
A:The Fedora Core 2 kernel includes some
performance-enhancing goodies that break the current
nVidia graphics driver. Don't worry, this has happened
before and nvidia will hopefully release an updated
driver very soon. I will post an update here when that
happens."

I provided one working method on this list and Rod
quickly provided another in response. Rod's guide went
much further and actually allowed someone to build a
working MythTV with the current shipping version of
Fedora. You can correct me if I am wrong, but I don't
see any other guide that actually does that now. For
me, Rod's guide was a nice addition to this list.
Thanks.

Daryl