[mythtv-users] Is the GUI slow for everyone or just for me?

mark fairlane at springcom.com
Wed May 26 19:38:56 EDT 2004

On Wednesday 26 May 2004 12:46 pm, Dan Morphis wrote:
> mark wrote:
> >  Mine's definitely slow since I switched to recording in RTJPEG and
> >  transcoding to MPEG4 after. I record about 6-10 hrs a day, and
> >  rarely do you pull up the guide or recorded programs and it doesn't
> >  take at least 8-10 seconds. When it's not transcoding, it's much
> >  faster. This is on a AMD 2500, 512mb ram.
>
> Why record in rtjpeg, then convert?  AFAIK, the only reason to use
> rtjpeg is if your system can't record in real time in mpeg4. . .

Because my system was dropping frames and changing audio speed recording
in MPEG4.  The fact that I started Mythtv at 0.10 recording perfectly and
playing back perfectly in MPEG4, with a low 30% load roughly, then has
progressively deteriorated to 90-95% load with later builds was lost on the
list.  One of the more "in the know" readers clubbed me over the head and
said something like " you fool, don't you know you're supposed to record in
RTJPEG and transcode it?"  Whatever, at least my shows don't jump anymore.

And this is NOT a slow system.  It's a AMD 2500+/512mb/7200rpmHD/KT400A
pretty snappy doing anything except myth.