[mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?

David myth at dgreaves.com
Thu May 27 17:23:17 EDT 2004

Bill Chmura wrote:

>On Thursday 27 May 2004 11:32 am, darren.richards at cox.net wrote:
>

>>>From: Andy Long <aslong at uark.edu>
>>>Date: 2004/05/27 Thu AM 09:08:07 EDT
>>>To: Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
>>>Subject: [mythtv-users] Luck with PVR-350 card and video out?
>>>
>>>I'm a linux newbie about to build my first mythbox.  I've read mixed
>>>reviews on the success of getting the PVR-350 to work for video out.  Can
>>>anyone relate their experiences or reccomendations on this?  Does it work
>>>well?  Is the video-out quality good when compared to, say, an Nvidia
>>>Geforce 4?  I'm planning on using either Fedora Core 1 or Core 2 (no
>>>great affinity to either right now, so if one would be better than the
>>>other for this card, i'd be happy to use it).
>>>
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>The video-out quality from the pvr-350 was very good, but I had numerous
>>stability problems.  I put my system together a few months ago, and after a
>>month of crashes, reboots, partial recordings, s-l-o-w channel changes and
>>a very low WAF, I bought a geforce4 mx440 with tv-out.  The tv-out quality
>>is *almost* as good, and now my system is rock-solid.  I'm using the 350
>>for capture only right now.
>>

>I had the same problems until I stopped using the framebuffer and put a
>monitor under the tv...  Its tough, I'd like to get a small flatscreen with a
>touchscreen to put on the coffee table :)

I have a PVR350 too (UK) I record from the s-video, not tuner.

Quality is excellent.

I've been running 2.6.4 and using the 1.9 ivtv drivers (with the 2.6
badzzz patch) for months now.
I also use the ivtvfb device.

I only use the TV for output (may get the projector going this weekend)

I can record, watch, watch remotely whilst it's recording etc etc it's
not exactly *rock* solid but uptime is usually weeks, not days!
(to be really rock solid it has to beat my firewall which once passed 18
months uptime - I *hate* powercuts)

David