[mythtv-users] BBC Radio 7 stuttering

Mark mark_kendall at btinternet.com
Fri May 28 04:14:04 EDT 2004

 > 90% of the reason to get a Myth installation was to record old BBC comedy
radio
> shows being transmitted on BBC Radio 7 on DVB.
>
> The problem now is that the audio is stuttering on BBC Radio 7. BBC Radio
1 - 4
> all work fine. They have the correct audio pid and another video pid from
> channel 5 if my recollection is correct. No problem's on audio at all.
>
> I've done the same with Radio 7 and the sound just stutters and hangs,
free's up
> and then hangs again every second or so. All the other radio stations
sound OK.

I've had the same problem from day one of my installation. Radio 1-4 are
fine, most other radio channels have the stuttering audio problem.

I'm certainly no expert, but I think it's down to differences in audio
bitrate.

I use the 'bid-up tv' video pid for radios 1-4. I think the audio bitrate on
bid-up tv is the same as the bitrate for the radio channels - hence there
are no sync issues. The other radio channels (from memory) have lower
bitrates and no video channel on the same multiplex with the same audio
bitrate. Myth tries to sync the audio and fails.

My workaround, when needed, is to play the recorded program with mplayer -
for some reason it is still happy. Xine fails as well.

I also remember someone saying that they had patched the source to simply
throw away all video information for radio stations/channels - but I've no
idea how it was done.

HTH

Mark