[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase --file option

Anduin Withers awithers at anduin.com
Fri May 28 13:57:44 EDT 2004

> I then try to import into mythtv with "mythfilldatabase --file
> <myxmlfile.xml>" and I get  "bash: syntax error near unexpected
> token 'newline'".

<something> is a convention, it indicates a required parameter. Likewise
[<something>] or [something] indicates an optional parameter. If you
actually put the <> characters in you invoke the shell's redirection
mechanism.

> Is this a bug with mythfilldatabase?

No, first --file is for XMLTV formatted input (not what DataDirect
provides).

Second, configure the internal grabber which will grab the DataDirect info
automatically (whenever you run 'mythfilldatabase', no ''s).

Third, try to follow the conventions for the list you post to. How many
other HTML e-mail posts do you see? How many with giant pictures in their
sig? How many with a masked curse word in the first few lines?

Steps you take to increase the desire for others to help you will pay off
(and even if they don't it can't be bad for your karma).

--
Anduin Withers