[mythtv-users] PVR350 and X Display

Wayne Eaker mythtv at zenquest.com
Sun May 30 01:08:35 EDT 2004

Well, the card I'm trying to get TV-Out to work with is the Hauppauge
PVR 350. I also have an nVidia Riva TNT2 in the box for use until I get
that working. I've got Myth all up and running with X being displayed on
a monitor connected to the TNT2. The video plays out of the PVR350
TV-Out. But, I can't get rid of the monitor until I can get X to use the
TV-Out for its display, too. I'm trying to use Jarod's XF86Config.
(http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/XF86Config-PVR350.txt) My frame buffer and
bus address happen to the same as his example config, so I have been
trying it as it is. I also tried changing the Refresh and Sync values
down to match yours, but that didn't seem to make any difference.

Any clue what's up with this? Thanks for your help.
Wayne.

Cyber Source wrote:
What is your video card?

Wayne Eaker wrote:

 >/ Well, I tried setting the HorizSync down to 30-50 and the VertRefresh
/>/ to 50, but still no luck.
/>/ Any other ideas?
/>/
/>/ Wayne.
/>/
/>/ Cyber Source wrote:*
/>/ You might need some settings to adjust your refresh rates sent to the
/>/ tv, I have an NVIDIA card and here is a snippet from my conf file,
/>/ Section "Device"
/>/ Identifier "Videocard0"
/>/ Driver "nvidia"
/>/ VendorName "Videocard vendor"
/>/ BoardName "NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX (generic)"
/>/ Option "RenderAccel" "1"
/>/ #TV Out Setup
/>/ Option "TVStandard" "NTSC-M"
/>/ Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPOSITE"
/>/ Option "TVOverScan" "0.6"
/>/ #Twin View Setup
/>/ Option "TwinView"
/>/ Option "SecondMonitorHorizSync" "30-50"
/>/ Option "SecondMonitorVertRefresh" "60"
/>/ Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT, TV"
/>/
/>/
/>/ Wayne Eaker wrote:
/>/
/>>/ / This is my first time creating a MythTV box, and I could use a
little
/>/
/>/
/>/ />/ help. I'm following Jarod's guide for installing with FC1. I get
/>/ />/ through the PVR350 instructions for the test pattern, which works,
/>/ and />/ the direct TV output, which works. It looks great.
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ However, when I try to use his XF86Config file for sending X over
/>/ to />/ the TV, it doesn't work. When I hit ctl-alt-backspace to
/>/ reload, all I />/ can see is a black screen on the TV. X is still
/>/ running, though. If I />/ type a username [ENTER] and password
/>/ [ENTER], I can see the hard drive />/ churning like it's loading
/>/ things up. If I try to switch to another />/ console screen, don't get
/>/ any login prompt, but I get a huge flashing />/ cursor. I can type,
/>/ and it moves, but it doesn't echo to the screen.
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ This happens both when I use the S-Video option or the Composite.
/>/ />/ Could the NTSC Monitor settings be different for my TV? It is a
/>/ little />/ on the cheap side, though the video came through perfectly.
/>/ Anyone />/ have any ideas for what I can try?
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ Thanks,
/>/ />/
/>/ />/ Wayne Eaker