[mythtv-users] Re: Transcode issues at "excellent" quality setting

thor mythtv at lamedomainname.com
Sun May 30 12:14:54 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 01:56, Nick Fasano wrote:
>         The settingused is a function of the source DVD. For any video
>         standard (NTSC vs. PAL) and format (letterbox vs. full screen)
>         there
>         will be a limited number of rows in tha table that are
>         relevant.
>
> Unfortunately, this still doesn't make much sense to me.  If there
> aredifferent settings for different video standards, then why are
> thereeight settings for "good", two for "excellent", and only one
> for"medium".  Also, the only difference between the two
> "excellent"settings is the use_yv12 parameter.  None of the parameters
> seem tohave anything to do with PAL or NTSC and letterbox vs
> fullscreen.

	You have to look at the dvdinput table. The
PAL/NTSC/letterbox/fullscreen values are matched by a single row in the
dvdinput table. Next, notice that the dvdoutput table has a column
called  "input". If you insert, say, an NTSC 4:3 disc (with no
letterboxing), the mtd will use the dvdinput table to figure out that
the DVD input type is 4. Then, the only transcoding (ie. dvdoutput) rows
that are relevant for that DVD are those that have the value 4 in their
input column (one excellent and one good).

	The is necessary because, of course, transcode clipping and resizing
parameters are completely different for different import formats.

- thor

- thor