[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase and 401 errors with Data Direct

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sun May 30 14:52:31 EDT 2004

David Lyons wrote:
> The question I have is, are the 401 errors normal? I have verified my
> account by logging into the http://labs.zap2it.com website so I know my
> username/password is correct.

Yes, it's a normal part of HTTP plumbing that you don't normally
see. The client can't know if the URL requires authentication. If
the page was visited previously and required credentials at that
time, the web site still may have changed in the meantime or may
use a session scheme where old auth info won't work. So, the client
should request the page without credentials. The server responds
Unauthorized with a hearer that declares the "realm". The client
then responds with the credentials for that realm.

Your first request is 401 and the second is 200. That's exactly
what is supposed to happen.

--  bjm

$ htdb -g http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com/tvlistings/xtvdService
Resolving hostname 'datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com'...
Connecting to HTTP server datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com:80

GET /tvlistings/xtvdService HTTP/1.0
Host: datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com:80
Accept: */*

HTTP: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
HTTP: Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:45:32 GMT
HTTP: Server: Orion/2.0.1
HTTP: Connection: Close
HTTP: Content-Type: text/html
HTTP: WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="TMSWebServiceRealm", nonce="PDEwODU5NDI3MzI5NDguNDQwMmQzYjdkMTExZDIxNTUyNTcxNjdjMDJmMGNhMDdAbWlja2V5cz4=", opaque="698d42058e42e09f", algorithm=MD5, qop="auth"
BODY:
HTML: <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>401 Unauthorized</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>401 Unauthorized</H1></BODY></HTML>