[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase and 401 errors with Data Direct

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Sun May 30 16:04:15 EDT 2004

On Sunday 30 May 2004 02:52 pm, Bruce Markey wrote:
> David Lyons wrote:
>
> > The question I have is, are the 401 errors normal? I have verified my
> > account by logging into the http://labs.zap2it.com website so I know my
> > username/password is correct.
>
> Yes, it's a normal part of HTTP plumbing that you don't normally
> see. The client can't know if the URL requires authentication. If
> the page was visited previously and required credentials at that
> time, the web site still may have changed in the meantime or may
> use a session scheme where old auth info won't work. So, the client
> should request the page without credentials. The server responds
> Unauthorized with a hearer that declares the "realm". The client
> then responds with the credentials for that realm.
>
> Your first request is 401 and the second is 200. That's exactly
> what is supposed to happen.

Ahhhh!  That clears up that for me too... thanks!

> --  bjm
>
> $ htdb -g http://datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com/tvlistings/xtvdService
> Resolving hostname 'datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com'...
> Connecting to HTTP server datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com:80
>
> GET /tvlistings/xtvdService HTTP/1.0
> Host: datadirect.webservices.zap2it.com:80
> Accept: */*
>
> HTTP: HTTP/1.1 401 Unauthorized
> HTTP: Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 18:45:32 GMT
> HTTP: Server: Orion/2.0.1
> HTTP: Connection: Close
> HTTP: Content-Type: text/html
> HTTP: WWW-Authenticate: Digest realm="TMSWebServiceRealm",
> nonce="PDEwODU5NDI3MzI5NDguNDQwMmQzYjdkMTExZDIxNTUyNTcxNjdjMDJmMGNhMDdAbWlj
>a2V5cz4=", opaque="698d42058e42e09f", algorithm=MD5, qop="auth" BODY:
> HTML: <HTML><HEAD><TITLE>401 Unauthorized</TITLE></HEAD><BODY><H1>401
> Unauthorized</H1></BODY></HTML>

- --

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
- -His Holiness the Dalai Lama

Wisdom does not mean knowledge but experiential understanding. Wisdom helps
you to change radically your habits and perceptions, as you discover the
constantly changing, interconnected nature of the whole of existence.
- -Martine Batchelor, "Meditation For Life"