[mythtv-users] PVR350 and X Display

Wayne Eaker mythtv at zenquest.com
Sun May 30 20:04:19 EDT 2004

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice. I did eventually get it working
today. However, it makes no sense how it started working. I didn't
change any settings in the "Screen" or "Monitor" portions of the
XF86Config. All I did was try to get both the monitor and the TV to work
at the same time. (so I wouldn't be without a display when the TV went
to black) and it started working. I can just load mythfrontend on the TV
display and it works.

Well, sort of. The ivtv drivers appear to be totally unstable on my
system for playback of pre-recorded video. There is some mention in the
ivtv of instability with certain VIA chipsets, of which I have one. The
playback of live tv works perfectly. When trying to playback recorded
shows, if you hit the seek forward or backwards more than a time or two,
a crash hard locks the box. This happens whether the X server is running
on the TV-out or not.

I believe I may have to get a video card for display for now until the
ivtv drivers mature a little or something. CompUSA has a 128MB GeForce
FX for $50 right now. I'm sure the SVideo display won't be as fantastic
as the PVR350 (and it was PERFECT), but it may be enough for now. After
all, it's just TV.

Thanks again for all the pointers, everyone.

Wayne.