[mythtv-users] Hauppauge PVR-350 vs. Terratec Cinergy 400 TV card

Preben 64bit at mailme.dk
Mon May 31 15:06:57 EDT 2004

Hi everyone,

I am about to by a TV-tuner card for my platform. But I guess that it's
more difficult to choose than expected.
Normally I run a gentoo distribution, so kernel configuration should be
no more difficult than usual.

But I'm very interested in the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-350 TV-tuner card,
but it's so expensive. I would rather buy the Terratec Cinergy 400 TV
tuner card, but does it "perform" as well as the terratec.

My requirements are:
  - MPEG II hardware encoder
  - MPEG II hardware decoder (due to lack of CPU-power (VIA C3, PLE133T
chipset (no MPEG II decoder)))
  - TV-out (no graphic with TV-out)
  - Remote control (that works on 2.6 kernel)
  - Hardware scaling (for playing scaled video - lack of CPU-power)

everything should be working with the 2.6 stable kernel without any
modifications.

I read at a german website that the Terratec Cinergy 400 TV had S-Video
in/out, but it's the only place that I've read so? Is that true? Does it
have MPEG II decoder?

The Terratec costs only (in Denmark) 1/3 of the price of the Hauppauge
PVR-350, so can I get the same out of the Terratec card as with the PVR-350?
I don't need radio support! (the PVR-250 just doesn't have any outputs)

Other suggestions are also welcome?

Thanking you in anticipation!

/Preben Holm