[mythtv-users] PVR-250 + pcHDTV, myth 0.16, initial setup problem bttv called with NTSC videomode

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Mon Nov 1 19:31:52 UTC 2004

> Yup. I think the only major functional difference between the two is that the
> HD-2000 is a bttv card in NTSC mode, the HD-3000 is a cx88 card in NTSC mode.
> I had no problems viewing NTSC material w/my HD-2000 (outside Myth).

 	I thought it was a BTTV-based one, but now I see you're right.
There appear to be a whole slew of new video decoder chips that have some
more advanced features than the old bt8xx chips.  As I've recently found
out, the SAA7115 on the PVR-[23]50s have a "2/4 (NTSC/PAL) adaptive comb
filter," and 9-bit ADC's.  The CX23883 has 10-bit ADCs and possibly a bit
fancier comb filter.

>>  	Maybe the killer vid card would be to add an Oren chip to a
>> PVR-150.  If the CX25840 chip could also get/put data from the HD Oren
>> decoder, it would be a combo SD/HD MPEG2 capture card.  Probably a bit
>> too spiffy to hope for.... :)
>
> That would definitely be nifty... Or if that isn't entirely feasible, maybe a
> PVR-500 with one input for HD, one for SD... You can always hope!

 	It really wouldn't be all that complicated.  Once you've got the
hardware set up and laid out, it's mostly a driver issue.  Of course, I'm
not sure about having two chips on the same digital interface.  They may
not play nice together.

-Cory