[mythtv-users] myth video settings

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Mon Nov 1 19:42:39 UTC 2004

So I've been using mythvideo in my set up and I'm very impressed with
how well it works, but I've come across a slight scalability issue and I
wonder if anyone else has had this problem or come up with some creative
solutions.  I've looked around in the archives, but nothing seem to crop up.

So I've been using AVI as a transport for Xvid encoded movies and I have
this issue that AVI does not specify the aspect ratio, so I end up
inputting 1.85 or 2.35 globally and then fixing individual issues with
individual files.  This is pretty time consuming as all the other
parameters other than aspect are the same.

So the question is what's the best solution ?

a) convert to a different transport like *.ogm and lose direct windows
compatibility
b) hack up the mythvideo interface so that it accepts an aspect
parameter in the metadata which can then be added selectively to mplayer
using %a or something like that.
c) provide profiles which specify generic parameters all defined in one
location.  e.g. "mplayer aspect 1.85", "mplayer aspect 2.35", "mplayer
4:3", etc...

Any input would be appreciated.  I'm not a c++ guy, but I think I might
be able to add a field to metadata.cpp.  Is there a more sensible
solution to this problem ?

Thanks

Yan