[mythtv-users] OT: Zap2it Labs Email

Geoff Scott geoff.scott.mail at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 22:08:54 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:16:05 -0500, Bill Chmura wrote:

> They could just be thinking the same thing as us...  what is the contingency
> plan if it does go away.   I have no idea what it would be...

Quite honestly, this is my concern.  The Myth community relies
exclusively (to my knowledge) on Zap2it.  What if they went away?
What is the back up?  What if they charged?  Who are their
competitors?  They do a terrific job, and I love their service, but
woe be to the community if, for some reason, some day, they went away.

Are there back up plans?  Does Zap2it have stamina?

I'm not advocating a second service, Zap2it does a fine job.  Just
thinking out loud a little.

The more this is discussed, the more I can't help but feel that they
are going to start to charge.  If they set a good rate, and it will
ensure some longevity, then I say charge me.  If this is simply
another way to (to use a tired /. joke) get to step 5 "Profit", then I
say we look else where.

Honestly, why send a letter to every subscriber.  Seriously, can
anyone provide a good logical reason for this?  I'm not buying "Zap2it
knows but is not on solid legal grounds" argument.  I really don't see
how that would warrant a mass email.  Did they expect the community to
flex a little influence?  No one to influence when you don't know who
it is.

Geoff