[mythtv-users] The sub $500 mythbox

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 19:39:31 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 02 November 2004 13:42, Kevin Chmilar wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 08:24, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> > If anyone's interested, I managed to pick up:
> >
> > Antec Aria
> > Chaintech 7NIF2
> > Athlon XP 2600+ Barton
> > (**) Zalman CNPS-3100 Plus
> > 512MB Samsung PC2700 RAM
>
> I set up exactly this same system over the weekend.  The Zalman
> cooler would not fit, though.  The CPU location on the Chaintech
> motherboard is too close to the side of the case and also too far
> back, partially underneath the power supply.  It might work if you
> are willing to do some bending on the Zalman.  I ended up putting in
> the largest standard "block" heatsink I could find and then used the
> big Zalman fan to blow on it (at the lowest speed).  I also installed
> the slot cooler that came with the case in the AGP slot (I am using
> the onboard video).  My CPU (AXP 2600+ Barton) runs at about 52
> degrees C.  Without the slot cooler it was about 65 degrees C.  With
> the big Zalman fan in there I cannot use one of the drive bays.

Well, that's a bummer... this was using the same model heatsink
(CNPS-3100)?  I thought I'd bought the right one, but I re-read the
review and it turns out they'd used the 6500AlCu-B.  The CNPS has a
smaller footprint, though... 110mm (L) (max) x 52mm (W) X 65mm (H) , vs
115~~125mm (L) x 93mm (W) x 65mm (H) for the 6500.  I guess I'll see
what you mean when it arrives tomorrow.  I can always do the same; take
the stock HSF from my 1600+ and use it with the 2600+ in the Aria, and
put the Zalman in my tower.  Thanks for the heads up!

-JAC