[mythtv-users] Problem with TV_grab_au 0.6 - New source

Andrew Palm apalm at aae.com.au
Tue Nov 2 21:36:52 UTC 2004

> After spending the last couple of days reading the discussion here
> regarding AU tv guides, I myself was thinking about the OzTiVo people,
> and the story of their battle with the holders of information.

Oh yeah its been a interesting battle. We have been providing guide data for
over 3 years now!

> I know that it is true that many of the OzTiVo people gather the guide
> information in their own way, which is not a collective way, and may
> not be considered by this group a helpful (read: legal) way.

Not truly correct. Without giving away our sources, we don't fall into the
illegal way of providing guidedata.

> Do you think the OzTivo people have a system which fits around the
> needs of an open source system which is publicly accessible (as is
> this list)?

Hey TiVo is linux based, we all for open source. The guide system has most
of the code for all to see (other than a few modules for various reasons).
Plus we encourage user input into the system, editing guide info and genres
etc

> Also, can the OzTiVo system help out those who are in irregular (I
> didn't say less important) states, and those using the digital
> broadcast system?

Maybe you didn't look at the slices correctly!

We cover all states (have for 3 years), all areas including country lineups.
We cover PayTV (Sat+Cable), FTA Digital channels (just the main ones, ie all
the sub channels are not covered). Our last released stats were

        OzTiVo Emulator Lineups in Use at Thu Sep 23 2004

          AC    NS    NT    QL    SA    TA    VI    WA
  001:    20    57     1    19    13     3    70    11    Statewide Digital
FTA
  002:     5    16     0     3     0     0    11     0    Optus Cable
  003:     0    28     0     4     2     0    19     0    Foxtel Cable
  004:     0     0     1     1     0     0     4     1    Aurora Satellite
  005:     0    17     0     1     2     0    10     2    Foxtel Satellite
  006:     0     0     0     2     0     0     1     0    Austar Satellite
  007:     0     1     0     0     0     0     0     0    Sat Debug
  008:     0     1     0     0     0     0     1     0    Old Analog FTA
  013:     0    19     0     5     5     0    19     0    Foxtel Digital
Cable
  015:     0    20     0     2     2     0     5     2    Foxtel Digital Sat
  016:     0     0     0     1     0     0     0     0    Austar Digital Sat
  999:     0     0     0     1     0     0     2     1    A/V Input
02000:           5                                        Sydney FTA
02600:     3                                              Canberra FTA
03000:                                        16          Melbourne FTA
03500:                                         1          Mildura/Sunraysia
FTA
03550:                                         1          Bendigo FTA
04000:                       6                            Brisbane FTA
04217:                       2                            Gold Coast FTA
05000:                             3                      Adelaide FTA
06000:                                               3    Perth FTA
Total:    28   164     2    47    27     3   160    20    451 in last 14
days

With a high number of TiVo users in OZ (~500)....

Rather than both of our user bases going down separate paths, it would seem
wise to pool these together and make one killer system for oz. With a lot of
features for the end users.

Andrew