[mythtv-users] Zap2it Subscription

Donavan Stanley geckofiend at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:05:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 23:05:41 -0900, John Andersen
<jsa at video.homelinux.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 November 2004 08:27, Gabe Rubin wrote:
>

> > I used to have directv and having the phone line plugged in screwed
> > with my DSL connect.  I called Directv and they specifically told me
> > unless I want to order PPV, I can have the phone jack unplugged.  In
> > other words, they dont really care if it is plugged in or not.
>
> So how do they know if you use it or not?
> (How do they disconnect you if you fail to pay).

As for how they detect, the machine keeps track of it and will not let
you go over a certain limit.  To disconnect you they simply turn off
your smart card's ability to decode the stream, which doesn't require
anything other than the box being on and connected to the dish.